Friday 13 April 2012

The appeal of a Windows Phone.

Have you been enticed by a Windows phone?

I have seen Nokia Lumia 800 being advertised with a lot of network freebies. It only confirms my suspicion that Microsoft and Nokia are finding it hard to woo buyers into Windows Phone contracts. Why? Let's read on.

Apple brought the 'Joy of Computing' to the PC world by the Mac. They then got a similar idea on to the Mobile world, and it was a runaway success. Only that 'Joy' was now 'of Using'.

It's the experience that counts and the WoW factor that takes it all! And I cannot get it that the company that brought XP missed the wow factor completely. I mean, the carbon fibre dashboard, natural physics, glass effect, leather bindings, paper effect, metal effect...in a nutshell emulation of real life objects wows you because you see real stuff virtually and it gives a luxurious and executive feel (although surreal at times). On the other hand for Metro styling the design principle was completely opposite. It should not imitate real objects. This was a conscious decision Microsoft made in an attempt to not be like Apple. I think this was a contradictory choice which may have been opposed by many inside and outside the company, although nothing has being said out loud about it in news or reviews. Most critics have adopted a wait and watch idea, but the sales results speak for themselves.

In my 18 years of computing experience, I wasn't exposed to Apple earlier, although I wanted an Apple Mac as my first computer, I couldn't or didn't. I based that on financial decisions or popular recommendation at that time. However the world has changed. The power of computing has come to the mainstream and is within the reach of almost everyone several times over. I say that because we own multiple computing devices (in some form) per head. Computers have shrunk to the size of mobiles. Wait! They ARE mobiles. Thats where I am typing this blog on. So if I were to have made the choice now, albeit 18 years later, what would I have done? Would a financial decision have mattered? Yes, maybe, but what's the price difference between an Apple's entry level iPhone and a Nokia Lumia running Microsoft phone software? Very little.

So what would I have done?

Gone with the popular choice and a brand. And may I ask which one is that?

1. Apple
2. Microsoft/Nokia
3. Other (as yet beyond this scope of my debate)

As usual, I would love to hear your opinion.

Best,
Swapnil

1 comment: