Tuesday 10 April 2012

Which iPhone 4S Interposer Unlock SIM is better?

There is some choice out there when it comes to unlock SIMs. In fact these unlock SIMs are not SIMs at all. They cannot be used on their own because they do require an actual SIM card to be placed along with them. They are thin interposer IC (Integrated Circuit) that work, well like an imposter, by forming an intermediate layer between your phone's connection and the actual SIM.

So if your phone is locked to a carrier, then the interposer circuit would need to be instructed to present itself as that carrier's SIM card. This instruction is taken through the SIM Applications menu.

I have come across various interposers called
  1. Gevey
  2. Rebel
  3. RGKNSE
There are several outlets like Apple N Berry (Each Supplier) eBay, Amazon, to name a few.
I have also come across a few dodgy sellers who list a genuine product but wont send you anything, be aware of low eBay seller rating (or higher with hundreds of penny items purchased) and a fake website with fancy badges of paypal, visa, western union etc along with a live chat feature and a local phone number to back them up. Yes, I did fall into this trap hence this caution. A fake website example is www(dot)geveysim(dot)eu . Don't buy anything from there, its bogus. There are several sites like this probably run by the same group. I managed to get a refund from eBay after raising 2 cass (one item not received, another item not as described). The live chat was so authentic that the guys convinced me to close an item not received case).

Do some research, use common sense and go with trusted ones.

Well now with introductions out of the way, do they work?

My experience with R-SIM II manufactured by RGKNSE says they do. There is competition out there and each one says the other does not work. Some accuse of IC's being filed to make them thinner, but as long as there is a money back guarantee e.g. on eBay or Amazon and the seller has a higher rating (say 1000+) then the risk is worth the taking.

Price-wise I would say don't go for the most expensive, as they could be ripping you off in broad daylight. These things cost very little to manufacture. Look at the same ones being sold for iPhone 4's (yes they are between £2-£4 each, probably even cheaper). These have come out for $50 a piece earlier and then go down to $30 in a month or so, then $20, then $15 until the market dies. I got mine for around $15. I still think I over paid, but its worth what ever it was for because my phone works.

Now depending on which iOS version you are on (5.0.1 or 5.1) it would be better to go in with the the Ultra S II or the Ultra S III of whatever is available. Buy the No 112 ones as they are automatic and saves the inconvenience (and illegality). The Gevey ones do a F981 chip which is told to be lesser battery drain and better reception. The R-SIM ones do a 9202 chip which is probably of a similar type. Also be aware that to my knowledge only RGKNSE's R-SIM is known to work with CDMA models. So don't be caught out. I did checks with a few eBay sellers and hence my advise. But be your own investigator.

I did scour the streets of Edgware Road in London checking with every mobile unlocking stall and shop amist the Sheesha Hookah parlours (sweet apple aroma) and none of them seemed to stocked the Ultra S. And some of them teaching me how to pronounce Gevey (everyone differently). So to me it seemed that eBay would have been the best option. So I went for it.

Was it easy enough for you folks or have I got a knack of landing into trouble where ever there is a remote chance of one? Do comment please.

Swapnil

No comments:

Post a Comment