Monday 16 April 2012

Samsung Galaxy Note

Ok, this is an iOS blog and Galaxy Note is not an Apple device and neither does it run iOS. So why am I interested in it?

Well, the reason for starters is that it is too 'big' to miss (sarcasm). A Facebook friend posted a question if Samsung's Galaxy Note is going to survive or crash and burn. Lets analyse this question in a bit more detail.
I would read it as: Is the Note a craze in this quarter of 2012 and will this frenzy last longer?

The answer lies in Samsung's innovative capabilities. The Note is an excellent piece of hardware and from the reviews I have read so far, that is what most critics talk about. After all Samsung is an Electronics company.  Will it ensure that the Note has a longer shelf life? or will it be replaced by a Note 2, while having nothing or something common with the original Note? or will there a completely new product that redefines the category once again. In which case the Note would hit the end of its line.

To me Samsung, LG and HTC seem to be at an even playing field. So I would view Samsung as belonging in the same basket. Much like I would treat Ford, Fiat and Citroen.   Audi, BMW and Mercedes would belong to a different class. I am not having a debate about cars, so back to the point. I had an HTC Tytn II or Kaiser as it was called and an LG GM750, although both ran Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0/6.5, the nasty thing about these mobiles was that once they shipped out with a version of OS, there would be no further ROM or firmware updates from either manufacturers. There were cooked ROMs (hacked ROMS or whatever you may wish to call them), but not a lot of official updates. This really meant that the devices were sold as is, and once they were out of the shops, they would pretty much stay that way.

To even the playing field even further, lets not stick to Microsoft, but bring Google Android into picture. How many mobile manufacturers keep pace with the various Android Baked Cookie Dough variations of the OS that come out. The latest there is called Jellybean (or release J). So if you get a Galaxy Note today running Android 2.3 Gingerbread (release G), would you be assured to an update to IceCreamSandwich (release I)? Maybe, maybe not. Single manufacturer selling umpteen devices having different form factors (screen sizes, hardware capabilities) translates into a humongous effort to update an OS.

Reports state that some models of Note may not be supported for this release. Will upgrade to the OS be easily and widely publicised? Will the apps continue to work between the OS'es and devices? It's a wild and varied scenario, and as has been said, its a jungle out there.

Better still, let me repose the original question: Is it worth investing in a Galaxy Note for surety that it wont be obsolete in about 6 months? Obsolete not only by competition, but by cutting the lines by Samsung.

On contrast, what surprises me still is that the iPhone 3GS which came out almost 3 years ago is still eligible for iOS 5.1 (the latest, and the most advanced mobile OS as claimed by Apple). Could I assume that the investment made by Apple users with the iPhone 3GS is still safeguarded by Apple. It was pretty expensive when it came out, and is the device still in demand? A quick look on eBay says so. What about the other phones, dime a dozen, yes! I would struggle to sell my HTC for more than £50. Its best left in the drawer for that odd emergency.

Believe me when I say that I am not paid by Apple or its affiliates in any way shape or form. I am just an appreciator of the 'business of technology'. And this post doesn't imply that the only phones everyone should buy is Apple. All I am implying is that I am yet to see another technology company committed to its products, and its consumers ultimately, by way of continued support and innovation and in a manner that ensures customer satisfaction in the medium to long term. If there is then I would like to know. Your feed back is welcome.

Till then,
Swapnil

No comments:

Post a Comment