Tuesday 10 April 2012

iPhone or iPod Touch?

Are you on a budget and want an iPhone?

As a user of both iPhone and iPod (among a list of other curent devices like an iPad and a Blackberry), I believe I am in quite a good position to talk about it.

This is the question I asked my self when I first set out to buy an iDevice. An iPod 4G was my first Apple. Before that I was a M$ WM6.5 consumer (who consumed others cooked ROMS) and saw through its demise.

I was extremely happy with the resolution, features and capability of iPod 4G. What was missing was the ability to get data on the go. Enter bluetooth tethering, only to find out that Apple does not allow iDevices bly'tooth to connect to any bly'device. So I had to learn how to jailbreak. Then I had to purchase iBlueVer made by Eric Day from Cydia. And then the tether worked. So all in all, its a pretty awesome device and pretty much as powerful as an iPhone 4. VOIP works when tethered. Eric has also developed a GPS tethering tool that works along with iBlueVer so 2 tools work together without exclusively hogging bluetooth (as his description says). I have only used a demo version of it.

There is a Tomtom GPS accessory windscreen mount for iPod available which you can buy off the internet. There is one little trick. I saw one being sold for about £20 which was for iPod 3G. So an iPod 4G with a silicon case on is as thick as n iPod 3G and fits the Tomtom GPS rather snugly. So you can buy Tomtom app for about $50 and your iPod is now a SatNav system.

Now the question is, why should you go in for an iPhone?

1. You don't have another phone. (C'mon, every one has a spare phone)
2. You need a digital compass. (Location based services work best)
3. You need an integrated data device. (Cutting down on bluetooth battery hogging on both tetherer and the tetheree devices)
4. You need a device thicker than an iPod! (Seems to be in fashion)
5. You wan to use crappy apps that insist on running on an iPhone due to App Store restrictions, where as technically there is no reason they cannot run on an iPod. Like WhatsApp or Localphone. (The former though can be hammered into running on an iPod)

If you answered yes to any one of them then you are building up a business case to fill the void between £150 and £450 (approximately), which is the difference between the prices of an iPod 4G and an iPhone 4G. (Prices keep dropping so this may not be accurate when you read)

As for me, my wife uses and iPhone 4 and although I have an iPhone 4S, I don't really need to use it so it lies at home and works as a WiFi router. The only reason I have it is because I got it as a bargain. I always have my iPod in my jacket pocket because its that handy and I hardly feel the weight. I do all my phone calls+email  on my Blackberry and Surfing/eBay/Facebook/LinkedIn/Skype/Twitter....(&everything else) on my iPod And the best part is that there are no running contracts and I don't have to fill it up with more airtime money every month, unless I like an app.


What isn't good about an iPhone?

Well its very tricky and I am about to enter muddy waters. Personally, being a BB user, I would say that iPhones dont do emails very well. I have used my BB SIM in an iPhone, used it for a day and then switched back to my handy BB Torch. iPhone didnt feel practical for an email. The Blackberrys are very fast with emails. Instant notification & good keyboard combined with a businessy feel to it. And have it told you that you cannot forward an SMS as an Email on an iPhone. Pretty daft huh? But you can on a BB. Do you need to do it? Well, I have forwarded SMS'es on email as proofs of communication, so its pretty handy really.

There are several pros and cons of either devices iPod, iPhone (and BB - how did it get in this post?) but its something of a debate and I will let you comment on it. Love to hear.

Swapnil

No comments:

Post a Comment